What is a plot twist? It is an unexpected development in a book, film, television program, etc..
A list of great plot twists ideas has been compiled to help elevate your novel into a masterpiece. Take a look below to find an idea that may be a good fit for your next storyline!
- Red Herring — All suspicion points to one character, but when the truth is revealed, it’s another that did the terrible deed.
- The narrator is not the person we thought they were.
- A weakness of a character is actually their greatest strength.
- A character’s strength defeats them.
- A character’s weakness saves them.
- The weakest character is the villain.
- The strongest character is the first to die.
- The smartest character is the first to be outwitted.
- The most skilled character succumbs to the least skilled character.
- The protagonist is living two lives.
- The antagonist is living two lives.
- When the protagonist solves the mystery, it opens up a Pandora’s Box.
- The wrong first impression of a character.
- What first seemed like a wrong first impression of a character ends up being right.
- A surprising person ends up being the puppet master behind everything.
- The conflict the protagonist was going through was a ruse concocted by their friends to help them with confidence or to overcome fear.
- The conflict the protagonist was going through was a ruse concocted by former victims of their bullying.
- The conflict the protagonist was going through was a practical joke.
- The protagonist receiving help actually doesn’t want it.
- The protagonist that doesn’t seem to want help actually does.